September 10, 2005

Isang Paanyaya- An Invitation

Hello sa inyong lahat!
Bago ako umalis ng Pilipinas, two years ago, binibigyan pansin na ang paggamit ng Taglish sa UP (University of the Philippines). This in fact is under study and most of the intelligent people at U.P., nationalist or otherwise or shall we say globally oriented are divided in this issue. In my own opinion, the supporters of the use of Taglish are gaining good ground in this aspect.
Kung mapapansin ninyo ngayon eh , you will find good books written in Taglish. If you would notice also, the newscasters in TFC use Taglish  too. Kung di nyo pa rin alam ang alpabetong Pilipino ay hindi na A B K D E  ( pronunced as a ba ka da e ga ha i  etc.) kundi A B C D E F G H I J K L M  N and Ñ Ng O P R S T U V W X Y Z and if you would continue singing it .. ; ito ang alpabetong Pilipino, madaling bigkasin sabayan nyo ako -( ulitin) A B C....ETC..
As an educator, I was really really challenged by this. Alam nyo naman fan ako ni Randy David. Do you know him? Kapag sya ang nagsalita ng purong Filipino, hindi ko mapigilan na mamangha at humanga. Napakalutong at napakasarap pakinggan. Hintayin mo naman na  bumanat syang mag Ingles at daig pa nya ang isang pure English speaking Canadian.  Well, I had a paradigm shift regarding this.   If you don't know what I'm talking about then make a research. Hindi po, nagbibiro lang . I changed my view regarding this; fan na po  ako ni Kris Aquino ngayon. Ay! lalong hindi po. Hahaba po kasi itong panyaya ko. Just ask me when I get to see you. It's just that I see the value of communication or communicating well and sending your message across where many people would benefit. I decided to change my strategy to reach people but my core values are still the same.  
Most English words are now accepted as colloquial words in Filipino like ballpen, hot dog, teacher ( titser). (hindi naman natin masyadong ginagamit ang guro di ba?) restawran or restaurant..at marami pang iba ... Modern colloquial Tagalog or Filipino typically adopts English nouns and verbs into the speech, even if there are equivalent terms in the native language. This pseudo-dialect is called Taglish ( " portmanteau" ika nga) -combining the words Tagalog and English like if you combine smoke and fog , you will form the word smog. Napapansin ko rin na karamihan ay tinatamad magbasa because we can't relate to the articles or books we're reading. Katulad ng isang kakilala ko na kapag nakakita na ng numbers at formulas, nahihilo na at feeling magto -throw up. Ganun din yung iba kaya lang ibang  klase naman kapag nakakita ng babasahin sa English, bumabaligtad na ang sikmura.   Naku, napakahabang, introduction naman nito. Hindi na po ako magpapasikut-sikot, I want to invite anyone who wants to make an article in Taglish on the next issue of our newsletter, "Usapang Pampamilya". This column will feature articles on family life. Ito ay para sa mag-asawa, magulang at anak, mag- biyenan, magkapatid etc. This sounds interesting eh and I know we will learn something out of this. So those who have a gift in writing, umpisahan nyo na  o baka naman di nyo pa nadiskubre na may gift kayo? How would you know if you won't try?
I hope that this space will provide an opportunity for Filipinos to express themselves and be better informed in a dynamic manner. I felt the need to be proactive in this regard. 
This is your editor of Let the RIVERS flow inviting you to join me in this endeavor. Praying that this move of faith will be successful. 
Fervently,

Eden

No comments: